Developers can rename a table in SQL Server “Denali”, MS SQL Server 2008 R2 and MS SQL Server 2005 Table Designer, by following the next steps:
1. In Object Explorer, right-click the table they want to rename and choose Design (Modify in SP1 or earlier).
The table opens in the Table Definition window of Table Designer.
2. From the View menu, choose Properties.
3. In the field for the Name value in the Properties window, type a new name for the table.
4. To cancel this action, press the ESC key before leaving this field.
5. From the File menu choose Save table name.
When developers rename a table and save it, its name is automatically updated in the database. Developers have to check in advance existing queries, views, user-defined functions, stored procedures, or programs refer to the renamed table, because its name modification will make these objects invalid.