1. Connects to an instance of SQL Server by using the following sqlcmd command:
sqlcmd -S Server\Instance
Where Server is the name of the computer and Instance is the name of the instance they want to check. If DBA or Developers have used the default named instance during setup, they have to specify the instance as “SQLExpress”.
2. Type the following command to determine the server and instance names:
3. Type the following two commands, when they are connected:
4. Alternatively, they can type the following commands:
5. The sqlcmd tool displays the version information. If the last line of information includes “Express Edition,” the instance to which they are connecting is running SQL Server Express.